Monday, June 25, 2007

Reality check

One of the great things about living in this community is that it won't let your head get too large.

I've been at the Freeman for 37 years. My name is in the paper every day. I do a fair amount of public speaking. I'm frequently on the radio. My first name is just unusual and short enough that people tend to use it and it alone to refer to me.

If you're not careful, you might wind up believing everybody knows you.

Not even close (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, by the way).

I'm at the physical therapist this morning. Minor problem with my foot. I'd been to the same place a couple of years ago before and after shoulder surgery. Great place. Excellent care. Friendly people.

One of the assistants who treated me last time helped me out again today. Again, great place, excellent care, friendly people.

"Are you still working for the paper?," she asked.

As I said, the community has a way of making sure you don't get too full of yourself.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home