Friday, June 15, 2007

Sidney who?

It's been a while since I wrote sports for a living -- 24 years, to be precise. But I still follow the games to an extent, particularly baseball and hockey, which always have been my favorites. I didn't, however, watch a second of hockey's Stanley Cup Finals. That put me in a non-exclusive club, because TV ratings have never been lower. I also didn't watch any of the pro basketball championships, for which ratings tanked, as well.

Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh was named MVP of the National Hockey League last night. How many of you have heard of him, much less would recognize him if he strolled down Kingston's Strand one day?

San Antonio has won four National Basketball Association titles in nine years. The most famous face associated with the Spurs? Actress Eva Longoria, who is engaged to one of the players.

I hate to play the role of an old timer, but give me Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor any day and my TV is on the NBA Game of the Week. How about Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr? Talk about great hockey players from another era.

So many sports. So many channels. So many prima donna athletes. Not enough time. Once it was fun. Now, not so much.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home