Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spooky

Changing the channels two nights ago. I came across the film "The Pelican Brief", which featured, among others, actor Robert Culp. Got me to wondering if Culp, best known for TV's "I Spy" and the movie "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" was still alive.

Last night, I came home just in time to hear NBC's Brian Williams report that Robert Culp had died a few hours earlier from a fall near his Hollywood home.

Flash forward to this morning. I'm driving to Albany, listening to a radio podcast recorded yesterday. The host played a snippet of the long-ago hit song "16 Candles" by a group called The Crests, fronted by singer Johnny Maestro. He then played "The Worst That Could Happen", a hit for Maestro when he was lead singer of a group called The Brooklyn Bridge. It prompted the host to wonder if Maestro was still alive. He was alive, a co-host assured him after looking it up.

A couple of hours later, back in the office, I read that Johnny Maestro had just succumbed to cancer in Florida.

Here's hoping I'm not thinking of you, at least for the next 24 hours. It might be bad luck.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home