Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Health care reform

The president has health care reform on his agenda, so let's brainstorm. No, not about all-access and affordability and other really important matters. I have something far less crucial to bring up. I do it tongue in cheek, but I'm betting it will be met with knowing nods of approval.

When I go to the doctor's office, here's who I want to see and here's who I want to see me: the receptionists, the nurses and the doctors. Nobody else.

I don't want to walk into the waiting room and be confronted with a sea of faces, some familiar, most not, all naturally concerned with their own well-being and not interested in seeing me, either. I want my privacy. They want theirs.

I don't like sitting in a common waiting area and overhearing the receptionist say to the woman at the desk, "Oh, you must be here for the pap smear." Too much information.

I don't want to be at a common treatment station and learn the complete medical history of the person to my right. Nor do I want them to hear mine.

Here's another thing: If you're getting treatment in a common area, no talking and no TV! Give me my book and IPod or let me nap. If you're accompanied by a friend or family member, hold hands. Peace and quiet are wonderful healing agents. Incessant, innocuous chatter is intrusive.

Mr. President, please consider all of the above in the fine print of your health care reform package.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home