Monday, May 5, 2008

You know you're a baby boomer ...

Southern comic Jeff Foxworthy sets up his punch lines with, "You know you're a redneck when ..."

How about, you know you're a baby boomer when ...?

I'm a baby boomer. I'll be 60 in a couple of months.

Here's one: You know you're a baby boomer when you tell your contemporaries that you don't understand today's music - just like our parents whined to their friends in the '50s and '60s.

Here's another, this one straight out of the front page of Saturday's Freeman: You know you're a baby boomer when you're taken aback after reading that some colleges now allow coed roommates.

Imagine that. Whether they're lovers or just friends, at an increasing number of institutions of higher learning, it's OK for males and females to live in the same dorm rooms, according to The Associated Press.

Why that caught me eye is that 40 years ago, I was among a handful of New Paltz students who helped steer the college to what was then a groundbreaking coed dorms policy. That's coed dorms, mind you, not coed roommates.

In coed dorms, the sexes are separated by floors and or wings. With coed roommates, no such barriers exist.

You know you're a baby boomer when you're shocked by the formal acceptance of coed roommates.

No wonder I see my father when I look in the mirror.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home