Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Be careful out there

You may have read in our paper yesterday about the malfunctioning traffic lights at the intersection of Washington and Hurley avenues in Kingston. They've been out since Saturday night due to a computer problem, perhaps the result of the storm. Nobody's fault. They're working on it. Parts and/or a replacement are on the way.

But it here is is Wednesday morning and the lights are still on the fritz. Amazingly, there have been no fender-benders or worse as far as I know at this busy gateway to the city.

City police officers were on the scene during Monday morning's rush hour to direct traffic. But I haven't seen them since. Motorists have been on their own, nudging their way forward or left or right, hoping some cowboy doesn't make a reckless mistake.

Far be it from me to make assignments for local gendarmes. I'm painfully aware of how difficult it is in my business to stretch human resources beyond their limits. So I can sympathize with the police.

But as long as the traffic lights are out, there's an accident waiting to happen if at no other times than between 7 and 9 in the morning and 4 and 6 in the afternoon. I hope the KPD can assign someone to bring order until the lights are back on.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home