Thursday, December 4, 2008

From the notepad

*I'm watching the Grammy nominations last night. B.B. King is scheduled to sing. (When B.B. King is on the bill, I'm there.) But before he comes on, several performers sing tunes made famous by others. Mariah Carey does a Darlene Love Christmas favorite. Christina Aguilera tries her voice on a Nina Samone classic. I'm an old white guy, but I'm there. But I'm gone when Foo Fighters (David Letterman says they spend their time fighting foo) murders Carley Simon's "You're So Vain". (Aren't those lyrics written for women singers?) And a young songstress named Taylor Swift (I'm an old man and I've never heard of her) offers a flat "I'm Sorry," the Brenda Lee standard. As for the nominations, the pop culture has long since passed me by. The names of most of the honored artists are mysteries to me. Now I know how my parents felt when I started listening to rock and roll in the 1950s.

*Come to think of it, here's another hint that I'm a senior citizen and then some: After the Grammy nominations show there was a Victoria's Secret special. I watched 10 minutes, then turned on the news.

*Really, is George W. Bush still president? It's like the man has disappeared. The Obama administration is under way, inauguration or no inauguration. And, the Constitution aside, I can live with that.

*How is Ulster County Executive-elect Mike Hein's 21-member economic development task force doing? I can't tell you. It's a secret.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home