Thursday, August 21, 2008

That's Italian!

Alan Chartock is heading to the Democratic Convention in Denver next week, and I'm taking a vacation, so we (along with host Rex Smith) recorded two weeks' worth of "Media Project" programs this morning at WAMC in Albany.

It also gave me a late-morning excuse to stop by a place called Andy & Sons Importing. I'd read about it in the "Best of ..." features in the Albany Times-Union and Metroland and promised myself I'd stop by.

We're talking about Italian food, folks. Homemade sausage, meatballs and sauces, lots of cheese, pre-made specialty dishes, pastry and crusty breads and other good stuff, all crammed into a tiny storefront at 256 Delaware Ave., not far from Exit 23 on the Thruway.

For my first trip, I started slow: a sub sandwich to take back to Kingston for lunch. It was first-rate. Next time, I'll be more creative.

There are plenty of excellent establishments to frequent in the Hudson Valley, so I don't want you to blow the locals off. But if you're in the Capital District and this kind of place strikes your fancy, check it out. You won't be disappointed.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home