Monday, December 31, 2007

Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson died today. He was a one-of-a-kind character who seemed to know everybody in Kingston and everything that was going on here.

A Kingston native, Jim was a radio newsman, advertising executive and politician, not necessarily in that order.

He was demanding and funny, thoughtful and edgy. He cared for the city in which he lived.

Jim also was a big man, to say the least. I used to kid him that if I owned a restaurant, I'd want him to read my commercials on the air. You'd immediately want to phone for a reservation after he made this week's specials sound like an inspirational experience.

Until recently, when his health worsened, Jim would phone often with tips and complaints. And I'd always hear from him when he wanted my reassurance that the Freeman was again going to co-sponsor the Boys and Girls Club's annual dinner.

We'll miss you, big guy.
comments powered by Disqus

<< Home