Monday, September 24, 2012

Family matters

I've been touting "Ben and Kate", a new Fox sit-com and promising to tell you why.

If you haven't guessed by now, yes, I do have a rooting interest: My younger son, Matt, is a co-producer on the show, which debuts at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Matt and his writing partner Alex Cuthbertson worked on "American Dad" on Fox (one more of their scripts is being produced for this season) and "Community" on NBC before hooking up with "Ben and Kate". So, naturally, I became a "Ben and Kate" fan before most people were aware of it.

Now, with the first show set to air, I'm happy to report that "Ben and Kate" is getting first-rate reviews. And, having already seen the initial episode, I can attest to the show's promise and the likability of its main characters.

(That's Dakota Johnson - daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith - and Nat Faxon, who play the leads, in the accompanying photo.)

"Ben and Kate": try it, you'll like it.

(And please make sure the younger adults in your family are still watching "Shake It Up" and "Austin and Ally", the Disney shows for which Matt's wife, Jessica Replansky, is costume designer.

That's what's happening on the West Coast. Back East, my older son, David, successfully ran in his first half-marathon Sunday in Torrington, Conn. He has a couple of more planned this fall.

Considering that I tire just driving the distance that David ran, I'm beginning to wonder if the hospital nurse handed us the right child to bring home those many years ago.

I hope so: We've gotten quite attached to David, his wife, Jennifer, and their daughter, Elizabeth.

comments powered by Disqus

<< Home